Përshëndetje nga Shqiperia!
Greetings from Albania, my home for the next two years! I joined the Peace Corps in 2017 and will be serving as an Urban and Regional Planning volunteer in the Community and Organizational Development sector.
Albania is a small but beautiful country in eastern Europe. The summers are hot, the winters are cold, and the people are unbelievably welcoming! With over two thousand years of history, Albania is a nation with a rich cultural background.
Albania isn’t exactly what comes to mind when you think of the Peace Corps. Many areas of the country have very modern amenities or appear very westernized.
But Albania is nevertheless still a country in transition. The legacy of communism and isolation has created challenges in Albania that will take years of hard work to solve. And that’s why the Peace Corps is here – to try and help in any way we can.
The Peace Corps has three goals:
- To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
- To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
- To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
I hope you’ll join me on my journey as I serve in Albania! I can’t wait to share my stories with you!
ADDITIONAL INFO & RESOURCES
- Why Did I Join the Peace Corps?
- 7 Tips for the Peace Corps Application
- 3 Do’s and Don’ts of Peace Corps Prep
- My Peace Corps Albania Packing List
- What to Expect During Staging
- An Asian in Albania
- 3 Essential Tips for New Language Learners